Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Reflections on the passing of Florena Predescu - by Elena Tanase

Florena Predescu

Died on January 28, 2009 in Pitesti, Romania

For those of you who do not know her, Ms. Florena was a very dear friend and sister in Christ. Although the world would have considered her average, she certainly was not an average Christian. On the contrary, she was quite special. Ms. Florena was baptized approximately in 2002, by George Micu, one of the Christians who tried to start a work in Pitesti, Ms. Florena’s home town. A year later, George moved to Bucharest, and she was left alone, the only Christian in a fairly big city. Although the circumstances of being a newly converted Christian in a heavily Orthodox religious culture could have discouraged many, she was not discouraged. Sunday after Sunday, without exception, Ms. Florena would go to Falfani, in my mother’s home, with the Christians from Bucharest, and worshiped there with my mother, my father at that time and the Christians that went there from Bucharest. After my father passed away in August 2007 and my mother went for several months to Spain, Ms. Florena continued her faithful journey of serving God. Sunday after Sunday, in the winter, she would go to Bucharest – approximately a three hour one way trip, using public transportation— to worship with the Christians in Bucharest. She did this for nearly eight months, until my mother came home from Spain in July 2008. Then Ms. Florena’s desire was to continue to worship in the village with my mother, who herself was also the only Christian left in that village. Unfortunately the Christians from Bucharest no longer could make the trip to Falfani on Sunday afternoons, as they did for thirteen years. The situation was quite challenging for both Ms. Florena who was left alone in Pitesti and my mother who was left alone in the village. Ms. Florena was again the one willing to walk the extra mile. She started to go to Falfani every other Sunday to worship with my mother. It was not easy. She would leave Pitesti in the early morning for an hour long ride on a bus that would take her to the village, where my mother lived. They would spend time together, encourage each other, worship together, study together. I was so grateful when I, my mother and Ms. Florena came up with this arrangement in October 2008, after it was determined that the Christians from Bucharest would no longer continue to go to the village on Sundays. And so it was, until the end. Ms. Florena would faithfully go there every other Sunday, just as she said she would.

Ms. Florena had a wonderful attitude about life. Although she was poor in the eyes of the world, she was rich in the ways that count. I have never heard her complain about anything. I have never seen her discouraged. She had so very few material things, however she lived like she did not lack anything. She had a pure joy and a measure of contentment that only GOD can put in our hearts. Ms. Florena was a joy to be around. Her very small apartment was never too small to invite many people, friends, neighbors, college students to study the Bible in her home. Her door was always open. Her heart was set on GOD and on doing HIS will.

Ms. Florena worshiped with my mother on Sunday, 1/25/09. It was a good worship. When I talked with my mother later that day, she said that Ms. Florena was doing well. They ate together that day, spent time together, laughed together, worshiped together. Everything was ok … just one week ago.

Dreadful news came my way last Thursday on 1/29/09, when I called my mother. Through tears, my mother was trying to explain that Ms. Florena passed away Wednesday morning, due to a heart attack. The next door neighbor found her dead at her door Wednesday morning. Her family rushed the burial, and she was gone from among us the next day, on Thursday. She was buried according with the Orthodox ritual, with priests and having a ceremony in the Orthodox church…. with none of her brothers and sisters in Christ being there for her on the last way. It was too late when my mother found out about what happened…. Ms. Florena was already gone from us. The shock was immense. The grief is great. The very thought that she died alone, that she tried to ask for help but she did not make it…. it is hard to bear. However, GOD will be our comfort, for indeed, she was not alone. GOD was there with her opening the gates of Heaven before her. Although I take great comfort in knowing that she is with the Lord, I will feel her loss for years to come. Not to see her again in this world it will be my loss.

My mother would miss her even more, as without Ms. Florena she has no one now to worship with on Sundays. So, whoever you are, reading this, please pray for my mother that she would be comforted and her faith would be strengthened. My mother’s name is Ana Tanase.

Why do I write this? I feel that I owe it to Ms. Florena. I can not just let her go from among us, without anyone knowing. She was not just a Christian. She was a wonderful Christian. She truly was the real thing. Her presence will be greatly missed. We bid you farewell, dear sister. You will not be forgotten here, as you will live in the hearts of those you have touched with your faith.

Elena Tanase

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home