Monday, October 30, 2006

The Sign of the Cross

Constantine was the first Roman emperor to embrace the Christian faith (baptized on his death bed?) and this was attributed to a sign that he saw in the heavens on October 28, 312. As he prepared for a decisive battle, praying to the god of his father, Constantine is supposed to have seen a sign of the cross in the heavens along with an inscription that said "Conquer by This". After defeating Maxentius at the Milvian Bridge, Rome Constantine honored Christians bishops and opened a door for faith in Christ to be an acceptable religion in the Roman empire.

How does one interpret such stories and what would it mean to actually see a cross in the sky? Is it a sign from God or just the coincidental conjuntion of random cloud formations? What exactly is the "sign of the cross"?

While traveling to Romania in late September, 2006 I was trying to take pictures of the clouds and the sunrise at 30,000 feet when I witness my own "sign of the cross" just underneath the wing of the plane. I managed to take a few pictures before we passed it by and I do not mind sharing one or two with you - as I was impressed with the image. But, what did it mean?

The fact that I was on my way to Romania to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ would tend to make me want to "interpret" what I had seen as a SIGN from God. Was it an omen that good things would happen while I taught the scriptures in a country far away from my home? Or was it simply the vapor trails of two jets that had traveled in a perpendicular manner on that particular day, thus leaving a cross in their wake?

I do not write this to make a claim that God had sent me a sign in the heavens thus blessing my journey and assuring me that the gospel would be received by those I taught. But, I will not deny that I felt good just to see it in the clouds. Shortly after the cross I witnessed a rainbow there above the clouds. That, too, was special - and I managed to capture that also in a picture through the window. As you may have figured out by now, I am easily impressed by sunsets and sunrises. It does not take much to impress me when we are talking about God painting the heavens. But, was it God who put the sign of the cross there for me? Did HE arrange to have those jets crisscross at that particular time and altitude?

While in Romania I spoke with a young lady who explained to me why she made the "sign of the cross" according to her faith. I had witnessed many Romanians making this obviously religious gesture as they passed by the orthodox church. I had even watched a mother teaching her very young daughter how to make the sign of the cross, carefully guiding her daughter's hand in the proper motion. But, the girl who explained it to me put it this way: "I just feel good when I do it". Having been taught to make this sign from the time she was a little girl, it was something that made her feel good each time she let her hand and her heart make the sign of the cross.

What is my point? I am not sure I have one. I cannot confirm or refute historically what Constantine saw or did not see in the heavens on that particular day. Maybe he did see a cross. Or maybe he did not. I can show the pictures of the "sign of the cross" that I witnessed while flying in an airplane. But, I may not be able to convince you that such was from God. I am not convinced in my own heart that such was a sign from God. But, it did make me feel good to see it. As for those who make the sign of the cross according to the orthodox tradition, I can safely say that such is NOT a tradition found in the scriptures, but rather it originated with men long after the New Testament was written. But, I will not say that such has no benefit to the people who practice it and feel good because they do so. If they feel good from having made the sign of the cross, then maybe this will be of some benefit to them as they face their own challenges day to day.

I did not go to Romania to undermine or destroy their ancient traditions, nor was it my purpose to attack their way of worship. I may not agree with them on the "necessity" of such things as making the sign of the cross, but I do not oppose their doing so. My goal was to teach the Word of God and encourage everyone to place their faith in the truth revealed in the Holy Book. If their traditions are of human origin, I will be happy to explain the consequences of departing from the revealed truth of God to follow after the teachings of men (cf. Matthew 15:9). But, each individual has to make his own choice as to what he will believe and how he will practice it.

I am impressed by anyone who is willing to publically express their faith. I like that think that I am not ashamed to own Christ as my Lord - and that I, too, am willing to publically state my faith before men. If I do not make the sign of the cross when I pass a church building, it is not because I do not believe in Jesus. I trust Him with all of me and willingly declare my allegiance to the Son of God. However, to follow Jesus I am committed to following His teaching. He does not teach me to make the "sign of the cross". Rather, He commands me to follow Him, bearing my cross daily. I am content to do what HE teaches without adding the traditions of men to my burden. His yoke is light and easy. That is enough for me. I will follow Jesus.

5 Comments:

At 2:04 PM, Blogger Nines said...

Ya know, I'm kind of a "sign" kind of guy... every day I wake up in the morning, I think it's a sign God's giving me one more day to serve Him. One more day to be a better husband, father, son, servant of His. Kinda like Groundhog Day, who knows what will happen when I finally get it right!...

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger Alan Williamson said...

Bill,

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger Alan Williamson said...

let me try this again....

Bill, thank you so much for your comments on this blog. However, you need to get your own user name so that people do not confuse you with your wife. She is so beautiful and nice - and you are just "nice". Ok, maybe you are beautiful in your own special kind of way.

What I am trying to say for the benefit of those who may be confused is this: BILL is Nina's (Nines) husband.

Thanks gain, Bill, for your comments here. I would love to see you all again. Until then, your comments are the sugar (koen) in my coffee.

alan

 
At 5:55 AM, Blogger Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

After reading that post, I was singing "The Way of the Cross Leads Home" in my mind the rest of the day.

I guess home is where the heart is.

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger welches said...

I try explaining the sign of the cross as not a what but a who. Cf. Galatians 2.20. A Christian is the real sign of the cross.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home