Thursday, October 26, 2006

last week in Romania

Romanian Report - October 24, 2006

I am on the airplane... on my way home and finally I have a few minutes to breathe, to sit down and to write a few words. How can I describe the last week in Romania? In a few words, it was a very busy time. I worked in the park with James on Monday. I traveled to Falfani on Tuesdayto be with the Tanase family to celebrate Mr. and Mrs. Tanase's 50th wedding anniversary. Then it was back to Constanta on Thursday. On Friday I taught the first part of a series on "teaching". Then on Saturday morning I finished the series with two more lessons. On Saturday evening we had a get together at the Badara home. On Sunday we had our afternoon worship and then I traveled to Bucuresti late in the evening. On Monday evening I met with George and Valentina Micu. On Tuesday morning I took the first plane out of Bucuresti... and here I am. I am now somewhere over the Atlantic and hoping the wireless connection will work (so far it has not).

I wish I could adequately describe the events that have transpired over the past week, even over the past month. There are so many things to report. I was encouraged by some of the things I saw, and yet I was also concerned about some other things. It appears that the church in Constanta will face some real challenges after the first of the year. At that time James Hamilton will move back to the United States and the few brethren that will remain in Constanta will have to decide what they will do and how they will manage without James. One major concern for them will be under what conditions will they continue to meet as a congregation, as James is considering selling his house (where they presently meet). It is a real interesting situation and whatever decisions they make will have a long term impact on the work there.

There will be a real temptation to look to America for a "financial" solution to their needs. Perhaps that will be the manner in which they will seek to resolve the matter of who will preach for them and where they will meet. I have tried to encourage them all to trust in God and work hard in the gospel, letting God give the increase. It is hard for them to realize that it will be in God where they will find their every need satisfied. This is so hard for them when they see the American preacher leaving and the real possibility of their "church building" being sold.

I was encouraged by the faithfulness of the few Christians in Falfani - and by the one Christian lady in Pitesti. These are standing firm in their faith despite the small number of saints in each place (3 Christians in Falfani - with 1 to move to the US at the end of the year and Mr. Tanase in deteriorating health. It is possible that Mrs. Tanase will be alone again in the village at some point in the future. -- 1 lady in Pitesti). Their optimism and stedfastness was a tremendous encouragement to me and I hope that I was able to be of some encouragement to them.

Several brethren in Romania were also an encouragement to me as they came to Constanta for the short conference (studies on teaching). Liviu from Bucuresti and Elena from Falfani came to be with the church as we spent a weekend in intensive study. Vali was host to Liviu (and myself), while the Hamiltons were host to Elena. These two brethren were an encouragement not only to me, but to all the brethren in Constanta. It was a good weekend for Bible study.

The situation with George and Valentina Micu is difficult. Several months ago they left the church in Bucuresti to begin a "new work" (another local church) also in Bucuresti. Their departure caused a reaction on the part of the brethren who remained in the church in Bucuresti. Approximately one month after they had departed the Micu's were warned that if they tried to start a new work, they would be disciplined. The church in Bucuresti sent them a letter stating that they had no "right" to begin a new work in Bucuresti and that such a decision was only to be made by the church in Bucuresti. An appeal was made to Acts 13 wherein it was argued that only the church (not individuals) had a right to determine when to start a new work, where it was to be started and who would be involved in such an effort. It was on this basis that the Micu family were marked and are now considered to be unfaithful. The stated reason is because they left the local church in Bucuresti to begin another work in Bucuresti - without permission.

I believe this was a decision taken in error on the part of the brethren in Bucuresti and I wish that they would reconsider their decision and let the Micu's depart in peace. It is a difficult thing for a church to exercise church discipline even when there are the clearest of reasons for the punishment. But, it seems that to withdraw all fellowship from those who wish to start another work in the same town is without a scriptural foundation. If there is more to the situation, then perhaps in time it will come to light. But, as things stand at the present time, it is my opinion that a great injustice is being done.

The work in Romania faces great challenges, as does the work in every place. How can one build a strong church that will be self-sufficient, independent and capable of making its own decisions and doing its own work? That is the question that needs a sound scriptural answer. The work in Romania will progress, or be hindered by the way we answer such questions and by the manner in which we approach the work. May God guide us with His wisdom when we undertake to help these brethren in their faith.

---------

Yesterday I safely arrived home after a very long day of travel. I will update this blog for now and maybe soon I will return to add more information concerning the work that was done in Romania over the past four weeks. For those of you who have read and or commented, thank you for your interest in Romania. May God's will be done... there and everywhere.

In Him
alan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home