Thursday, October 19, 2006

more evangelism

Romania report - 10-16-2006 - ABW

It is Monday night and the weather has changed from sunny and pleasant to rainy and cold. If things continue like this it will mean the end of our work in the park, as people will not be willing to stand in the cold to watch a powerpoint presentation. If we can find another location where we can be inside and protected from the weather, we may try to do some more work with the laptop in Constanta. As things look now, perhaps with the end of summer we will also see the end of laptop evangelism in the park.

How do you assess such efforts? Perhaps in time we will be able to look back and see if any lasting good comes from the work we did. I know this much, as far as I am concerned it has been encouraging to see the good reactions of some who are attracted to the presentations. This is something I will look forward to doing again in the future.

On Saturday James and I went into town and tried to find a good location to set up and present the gospel. We found what appeared to be a prime location right in the center of the main shopping area - we set the computer on a bench and waited for someone to show some interest. An older man (Jehovah Witness) stopped and watched the presentation and then talked some before leaving. But, the next couple who stopped were truly interested in the message we had to present. It was a man and his wife (she was very pregnant) and they stood in the wind until the short presentation was finished. He was Baptist and she was Pentecostal, but their interest in the Word of God transcended their differences in faith. I spoke to them briefly about the one true church and how that we can all just be Christians and the message seemed to resonate with them. We got their contact information and I hope to be able to contact them again in the near future.

Another interesting thing happened today - a marvel due to the speed of the internet and the nearly instant communication that is possible on the world wide web. Iota Cocione had been talking to a friend of his and wrote me an email to ask if I could talk to this friend. I called and set up an appointment with the friend, Gabi and talked with him at length about the gospel. This was made possible through internet and cell phone connections that fifteen years ago would have been practically unknown to us. I marvel at the speed by which communications can arrive through an email address or by a cell phone. After talking with Gabi I left it for him to decide if he wanted to pursue further discussions with us and I hope he will attend our Bible study on Thursday night.

This evening we met at George and Rodica Badara's home for dinner. The whole church was invited and everyone came. George cooked on the grill and the food was great. It was a cold day outside, but inside the house the company was warm and the conversation was delightful. I enjoy very much spending such time with the Christians here as it gives everyone a chance to be together in a more relaxed atmosphere that we usually expect at church. It is this kind of interaction that provides a foundation for deeper friendships among brethren. I hope this kind of hospitality can prevail among the saints here in Romania and in every place.

On Tuesday I plan to travel to Falfani. My trip will take me through Bucuresti and Pitesti. But, I will not stop to see the brethren there. This will be a quick trip to spend one full day with the Tanase family before I return to Constanta for the weekend. I have been asked to help the family celebrate the 50th wedding anniversary for Vasile and Ana Tanase. It is the orthodox custom for the priest to come on such occasions and "remarry" (renew their vows) them. But, since they are Christians and no longer part of the orthodox tradition, they have asked me to say a few words for them and this I will do. It will give me an opportunity to teach on marriage and this I will do for the benefit of those who will be present.

I have very mixed feelings about this trip to Falfani as I expect it may be the last time I see Vasile Tanase in this life. I have great hope for him since he obeyed the gospel. I have great hope for those in his family who are Christians. But, being a Christian does not lessen the pain of separation that comes when one who is dear to us leaves this world. I will try to fill up this last day that I have with him with all the fond memories that I can manage and hope to see him again when I leave this world. That is the hope we share as Christians, that of meeting again in heaven when this life is over and eternity stretches on forever and ever. If we do not succeed in serving God faithfully so that He will save us with His abundant grace, then nothing else we do here in this life will matter in the day of judgment. May God accept our sacrifice of self and forgive our sins through the blood of Jesus, His Son... in whose name we pray always.

in Him,
alan

1 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Nines said...

Your time with the Tanases will be bittersweet for you, but all sweet for them. It is a weird thought- of planting seed and then walking away, never knowing if it sprouted or will ever bear fruit. When we plant gardens, that is the point- to gather the fruit for the winter- food for our families. But the Word is different, isn't it? It is not for us that we plant- but a harvest for the Lord. And who knows better than He how to nurture and tend a seed? I have faith that He will see your good works through in ways we can never imagine. Praise God! We love you and keep you in our prayers, Nina and Bill

 

Post a Comment

<< Home